Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Crisis of the Treacherous Tap


It is recommended to drink eight glasses of water per day. And after physical exercise, there is nothing like a glass of water to quench the thirst. We just go to the faucet, put a glass under it, fill it up with tap water and swig it down. After that, we rub our stomach, grin and make a satisfied "ah" noise. Our needs have been met.

But last night, I was informed that my needs will not be so easily met in the coming days. While I was working, I received two text messages saying "Don't drink the water! It's contaminated" At first, I felt alarmed, I had been drinking water all day. But, then I got bits and pieces of information regarding the crisis and learned no one had gotten sick yet, just the levels of contamination in the city's reservoir were higher than acceptable.

So, those living in west side Portland (that's me) get to play "third world country" for the next few days. Gone are the days of going to the faucet when we want water.

I promptly went out and bought precisely 24 bottles of water. Now, hear me this, bottled water I have always felt is a waste of money. You can just enjoy tap water and it fundamentally the same thing. However, today it isn't the same thing. I paid $4 for my water. Water should be free, shouldn't it?

I hopped in my car and drove home. When I got home, I parked about a half a block away from home and lugged my water home. I struggled opening doors, but I finally made it home. And, I only carried the water a mere half block.

I've been in situations where the water was not safe to drink, but that was never at home. I'm used to living in my sanitized world with clean drinking water. So, this is a bit unusual. However, not having water really isn't that bad. It's even mildly exciting (obviously my definition of excitement is pretty tame).

On the matter of clean water, I have this to declare, I'm extremely thankful for it. But even more than that I am extremely thankful for convenient water that requires no transport.

No comments: