Saturday, August 30, 2008

Oh, The Thrill of Nothing


Guatemala is a stunning country with heaps of super cool things to see. Although, I have been here for quite some time, I feel like I just didn't have time to see everything I wanted to see. I haven't been to Tikal, Coban, Monterrico or Flores. But, I am not disappointed; I did see a fair amount of new things. For example, I have seen coffee farms, pineapple fields, banana trees, kakao trees, cashew trees, onion fields, bean fields, wild parrots, mango trees and melon fields. Then there was the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, the desert, Copan Ruinas in Honduras, Antigua, waterfalls in the jungle, and Lake Atitlan. Now, have I seen any of that in the states? Duh...no!

Here in this country there is something new and exciting to see at every turn. But, I am a bit sick of traveling. Can you believe that?! I don't want to sit on some bus to see some Mayan ruins, or the rain forest. I don't want to find my way to a decent hotel whilst I am laden down with luggage and trinkets I have bought that I don't really need. I just want to do nothing, nada, nill, zilch. I have gotten to the point where I am not longer that interested in going to new places. I think I shall just stay put in this lazy lakeside town of San Pedro doing nothing.

No, I haven't gotten to see everything I wanted but I hope to return and see the rest some other time. But, what is a vacation for? Why my friend, a vacation is to relax--catch up on some sleep and partake in the sweetness of nothingness.

No comments: