Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Purpose of Trendy Streets


I dug up an old post that I meant to post about three months ago.

I have been on a sabbatical from my social life. I just need a moment to sit and stare at the wall whilst I think about what it would be like to live in an avocado tree in Maui, or what the difference between clams and oysters are. So, I'm taking it easy and declining most social invitations.

This resulted in spending much time at home relaxing, writing, doing homework, reading, unloading the dishwasher and studying. I began to feel restless so I thought I would drive somewhere in my car.

I found myself on what was unquestionably one of the trendier streets in this town. A street with an buffet of vintage stores, coffee shops, book stores and micro-breweries.

The people there are trendy and don clothing that hasn't quite caught on to the masses (as they are too weird and can only be found in vintage clothing stores in three sizes too big). Some of the people there I would like to politely ask "Um excuse me, but what gender are you?"

And of course, it wouldn't be a truly eclectic street without the environmental activist approaching people saying: "Can I teach you about clean energy?" to which I reply "No thanks, I prefer fossil fuels." (Okay, that isn't true, I don't prefer fossil fuels, but I secretly imagine myself saying that to the those people who accost me just to ruffle some feathers and give them an answer not to be expected).

I wandered into a vintage store selling all manner of doodads, knick knacks, lamp shades, vinyl records, telephones (Who uses those anymore? With the affordability of cellular phones), rocking horses, and various relics of the past. I also bought a foofy coffee with whipped cream whilst I wandered around a used bookstore (I didn't buy anything as I am a fan of the library).

This brings me to the whole point of this discourse. The purpose of trendy streets is to cure to boredom for both individuals and groups. They are to be utilized and enjoyed by everyone. Note that I said "used," this means, go there and wander around.

I know it exists where you live. A trendy neighborhood that all the guidebooks mention. It's one of the places all the tourists go, but since you live there,well you've never bothered visiting this place. Well, go there and enjoy it!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love those kind of places. I love going, and then love coming home to my quiet house in the country.