Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Senior Citizen to Tip Your Hat To


Every year, the local college around these parts throws a dance show extravaganza. It consists of community dance classes. People get on the stage and show the audience what they're made of. There's something for everyone: modern dance, ballet, rumba, cha cha, hawaiian, tap and even cowboy dancing.

Now, I have had the very good fortune of going to this highly venerated show on two occasions and each time I think to haughtily to myself, "Ha! I could do that!" And, maybe I could. Or..maybe I couldn't.

The show consists of community dance classes and anyone can sign up. Thus, there are varying levels of performers from all walks of life. They don't discriminate on age, socioeconomic status or freckles (whew).

What struck me about the first time I went to the show was a senior citizen who danced his heart out amongst the 18 year old hard bodies. He must have been about 75, perhaps 80. And this year, I went again, and there he was again. Hurray for him!

We all imagine ourselves as some fit senior citizen and the truth is, we're unlikely to be that. Although the elderly dancer didn't do the splits in the air and then land in some weird uncomfortable pose that wowed the audience, he did manage to do some jumps and he jogged around the stage enthusiastically with the other dancers. Although he did hobble around about two or three steps behind the others and he did make the show look a bit off kilter, but who cares? Needless to say, I was impressed!

All I can say is this; I hope I'm that limber in when I'm a member of the geriatric tribe.

No comments: